Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Brave New World Persona

"Friends, romans, countrymen, lend me your ears..." There will never again be orignality, never again will there be love, honesty, or respect. Everything is manufactured, everything unreal. There is only the two extremes, both equally as bad as the other.
Violence and terror on one side, used to fuel those to work and conform. Outcasting those who bring individuality and creativity to the table. Like my mom for example, a woman that created her own morals, her own code, only not to be accepted.
The other place, this brave new world, was one I hoped to have been different. One that accepted all, encouraged individuality and creativity. Instead, this society is dominated by an abuse of power, discouraging emotion and love. Promoting a sick, comatose state to forget ones problems and encourage immorality all at the same time.
My mother was wrong about it all, there is no other place. What makes the reservation so much different and so much better than this new world.
Lenina, Hemholtz, Bernard.. I thought they would all understand. But they don't. All of them blinded by the lifeless society they live in. Every aspect of their lives controlled with no motivation at all. They lean on social stability, have completely out casted love, marriage, parental figures. Look at the Director for gods sake, exiled for being a father. With no one to turn to, no one to love, what's the point? Don't they see that?
I still remember the day I went to the factories. Watched the Epsilons embryos gassed, the chance at creativity destroyed before they even had the opportunity to use it. Forcing a predetermined caste system upon unborn potential, upon change just waiting, wanting to happen.
As I stood there, Shakespeare's complete works in hand, and watched as newborns were taught to reject the idea of reading and the simple beauty in nature. It was plain and easy to see that a chance at change and individuality was further taken away by removing the ability to notice beauty. I noticed beauty with Lenina, but why should that matter. To her, I was viewed as a prize, a trophy. A one night stand.
Couldn't these people notice how worthless their lives and the lifestyles they lead were? Lacking drive in all aspects of life. No motivation to change the status quot, break free from the technological warps they were so tightly wrapped around. Truly these people were playing fire with fire. But to me,  ignorance is bliss, and to me what I've seen cannot be unseen. "What has been done, cannot be undone."

1 comment:

  1. Good post! I like how you explain what everything looks like from John's eyes. I also like how you had the Shakespeare quotes in the post. I am not sure that this is 700 words though.

    ReplyDelete